January 17, 2016
New start, new you: How to really commit to change your life!
Can you feel it? The warmth in the air isn’t fazed by the chill of the season. The potential to start something new is just the fire you need to begin again. So how can this time be different from any other time before? What does it take to make a change and stick to it?
According to Forbes.com, around 40% of Americans decide to jump on the New Year resolution bandwagon. Unfortunately, only 8% of us are able to make the new changes stick. We start out in the race, running for our lives only to come up short of the finish line. But this year, you will finish and here’s how!
- Set realistic goals for yourself. Don’t decide to make changes that won’t fit your current lifestyle. If traveling the world is your goal, start saving money and make it a trip per year. Dip your toes in the water instead of diving in head first.
- Plan for setbacks. I didn’t say expect them though! Always expect the best, but be prepared for the worse. Your plans have to include the possibility of anything happening…this preparation gives you permission to examine all aspects of your goal. Seeing the whole picture instead of only a small part.
- Keep it simple. You don’t have to make major changes for big rewards, the small changes count as well. And believe it or not, they add up! The simple things give you confidence to accomplish the larger goals.
- Find your motivation. Your motivation should move you forward towards your goal. Intrinsic and external motivators both play a vital role in helping you achieve your goal.
- Find a goal keeper (soccer anyone?). Honestly though, confide in an accountability partner. Someone who will hold you to your dreams, help you reach your goals and be there to help get you back on track should you veer off the path ( and we all do at some point!).
Believe in the possibilities of this year, we’ve only just begun! Forget your past, other than it being the road that got you to today, it truly has no bearing on your future. You decide for you that this time, this day, this year will be different!
Mind, Body, Soul